Folic Acid (a.k.a. folate or folacin):
Well, Folic Acid is vital for pregnant women to ensure the baby’s proper development, helping prevent birth defects in the brain and spine .
No baby on board? Folic acid also helps create most all cells in the body and may reduce the risk of heart disease and colon cancer .
What You Need:
- 400 mcg
How to Get It:
- Look out for fortified grains and cereals (200-400 mcg per cup),
- Asparagus (134 mcg per 6 spears)
- Spinach (132 mcg per half cup)
- Orange juice (83 mcg per cup)
- Lentils (179 per half cup)
What’s Too Much:
- 1,000 mcg